Saturday 3 September 2011

Bumblefoot prodigy Poc Saenz exclusive Q&A w/ I’m so Normal it’s Uncool/Bumblefoot Paddies.

The music of Poc entails what exactly?

I'd say 'a lot of rock in the guitars & drums & overall energy, but I'm still a girl and don't want to lose my feminine side, there's maybe a hint of pop, dance, R&B in some of the songs...


Why is Pink such a significant figure in terms of influencing your music and style?

Well, i identify myself with her in a certain way, because she`s a singer-songwriter, she has succeed in so many ways, from her personal and professional life, but  then again, it’s mostly about her work, the way she sings and perform live is awesome! but. I can say is more like in my own personal likes, more than influencing in my music. I think i would name Janis Joplin and Led Zeppelin as my two biggest admirations. I mean Janis was considered one of the greatest rock n roll singer OF ALL TIME! passionate, full with strong convictions,  rebel spirit without forgetting about her excellent voice. That's why it was so important to me record as near as possible to NYC, because that's where she recorded her first album!!!!  Led zeppelin.....well.... wow.... where should i begin?  i love the way they managed to mix : "blues, rock n roll, Arabic music, Indian music, country... FOLK, into their music!!

and don’t forget it is one of the world's bestselling artist of all time. And i most accept ... now "BUMBLEFOOT" has become one of my biggest admiration, and influences. I dare to say that this new album is 90 % his work, his essence, even though most of the songs i wrote them... he made them grow, he completely found me... my "music personality" that how i call it. He taught me the basis of rock music, music tendency and time line, and he kept on pushing me to reach that "little something" that made my music sound like "POC"  He taught me and help me dealing with really difficult situations, i mean when we were in Mexico for that gig, everything seemed to be falling apart.. and at the end of the day everything went just PERFECT... we had to deal with hurricanes, earthquakes, heat waves,  backline problems, homesickness, management issues ...  I MEAN... he made me see I AM RIGHT WHERE I SHOULD BE.

And as a guitar player i completely admire him, as a producer and as a wonderful human being... I MEAN.. i have become a fan of his music! actually as am answering to this interview I’m listening to one of his albums ! lol. .. well...Thanks Ron !

What other artists would you regard as being an “influence”?

WELL... i just answered that question in the question before... but i forgot to say i LOVE the sound of nickelback.

At what point did singing become your ambition and why?

I used to dance ballet, i thought i would become a professional ballet dancer, but ... it’s funny how life make things work...  the day of my professional test,..... i broke my ankle,  a few hours before... so i couldnt make it to the test, and before getting back to practicing  i needed at least 2 years of therapy... i was really screwed up. That’s when i started writing my songs... i was  so depressed  that the only way i could manage to leave my thoughts and my failure feelings was by writing music. Then that’s when i realized how passionate i felt about music... and that’s when i understood that music was what i needed for my life, because it’s not about money, fame... and all that things.. BUT IT’S ALL ABOUT PASSION!

Where do you want to go as a singer? What’s the ultimate height?

WORLD PEACE!! lol... just joking .....i just want to share my music with world... have fun doing it.. which i must say that at this point I’m having such a good time doing it. But at this point I’m just looking to get to the next goal, which is putting out the album and build one happy big family with people who likes my music and support me.

There’s a campaign proposing you open for GN’R during their upcoming performances in Mexico – I would imagine that’s quite flattering?

Yes, I’m very grateful and i appreciate it  that  gnr fans welcome me into their world... wonderful people !!! and the fact that GNR is such a great historic band.... so yes .. it’s quite flattering!!!!!!!

Is there a possibility of a structured Poc tour or will the appearances continue to be sporadic?

By the time the album is out, there`s going to be a Poc tour, .. to get the correct promotion on the album.. with a proper business plan, i mean this is what i want for the rest of my life, so things have to be serious and handled with the importance it deserves,.. i would have not go through all this stuff , dealing with hurricanes, natural and,.. UNNATURAL (lol) disasters and flying all the way to nj to get the album produced  for two months with an excellent producer, getting Frank to record the drums etc.. if i didn't expect things to get really serious :D

Why did you choose Bumblefoot to produce your album?

I chose him because i made quite a search into his work, not only because he`s playing with gnr, but because all of the work he has done before, and accomplishments, his curriculum is quite impressive!!! I care a lot about the guitar sound, and his technique  give the guitar a great sound!! his sound is huge! and now the album is done.... i see that i chose wisely!

Is your upcoming album the first Poc release?

This album is my first Poc release... and i think it s going to be huge... the album has such a quality in it... and great stuff going on. I completely reached what i was looking for  for this album.

When should we expect your album to become available?

hopefully, it`ll be available around october. still dont know, because Ron goes touring so.. i guess its up to him.. but he get work done REALLY FAST..and by this i mean.. REALLY REALLY FAST.! such a professional work

What sort of guy is Bumblefoot?

A caveman-- .... hum.. lol...seriously speaking, its unbelievable how professional he is, he`s into everything all the time, vocal coaching, producing, playing, promotion stuff,  dealing with random crisis... but he`s a workaholic... nice, kind, FUNNY LIKE HELL... but still workaholic.




Did you dig Bumblefoot’s music prior to working with him?

Of course i did, i needed to know his "music personality! and totally loved it! CRAZY MUSIC PERSONALITY!...abnormal and normal at the same time...  huh? does that even make sense? that's what i love about it... nothing seems to make sense ... but in some ramdom way.. it DOES!

Throughout the live streams Bumblefoot repeatedly referred to the necessity of “feeding the Poc” – how good a cook is Bumblefoot?

I don’t know about that... ahhahahaha we always went to get pizza or Thai food... he loves it! although---. there was this time he bought a chicken pot pie to cook...the ones that are frozen and you just put them on the oven.. and they are ready... well.... he burned it !! and it tasted like **** ...  lol. But that’s the nearest we got to cooking.

How was performing live with Bumblefoot at the Bulldog café in Mexico City?

leaving out the issues we had to get it done.. like he being so sick, with a terrible stomach ache , and the backline company cancelling at the last moment and getting another backline one hour before the show and bumblefoot`s amp blown off just in the middle of his solo, ... IT WAS PERFECT.... people loved it, i felt so comfortable and.... we had a hell of a time down in Mexico city. We played 2 gnr songs.. "knocking on heaven’s door and sweet child o mine" it was great

Are then any intriguing Bumblefoot related stories you would like to share?

AHHAHAHAA!! everything with ron was so weird... like hanging out  at Dunkin Donuts while the hurricane was going on... to do some livestreaming and just... hanging out... while my room "the basement" was flooding  hahaha that’s quite a story! what were we thinking!!  oops.. my bad.. we weren’t thinking at all!!! 

Is Ron’s beard as evil as widely speculated?

You know.. I’ve heard that before.. but i must say Ron’s beard was pretty nice to me... and if Ron’s beard actually tells people what to do.. then i must thank Ron’s beard because it made me make such a great album!!!!! I’m so sorry i tried to cut it off while he was sleeping.... NEVER AGAIN!

Would it be fair to say the exposure you’ve gotten through working with Bumblefoot has been invaluable?

well... in a certain way it was really good... because of him i got to know wonderful gnr fans.... who actually liked my music... so it’s more like a introducing people to your music thing. and that's how you share your music with all kinds of people with different music tendency or influences

Do you find your good looks to be a problem in terms of regular online wedding proposals?

i find it flattering.. i mean... every girl likes to be told they are good looking ..... I’d have to be crazy if i considered it a problem :D online wedding proposals?? humm well... that’s weird.. but then again . i did ONLINE recording backing vocals session so.. then.. i must say everything is possible LOL!

What artists are you presently listening to the most?

Ron has introduced me DEEPLY into a lot of music styles and their stories... like... Frank zappa , led zeppelin... tons of beatles, queen, stevie wonder, soundgarden, S.T.P. audioslave, the doors, the who,  rolling stones, rush (thanks to jaacko) etc...

Other than music and generally being glamorous, what are your interests?

I’m so passionate about photography.,.. in my free time i like to do some nice photo sessions , mostly of concerts or traveling.


Who or what do you gain inspiration from?

From everything, inspiration is everywhere... most of my songs are based on personal situations... and my life can be really intense most of the time.. which i really like because I’ve never had a creativity block . I’m always filled with 10000 different feelings at the same time... hopefully i won’t go crazy with time. LOL

Why do you think you opted for rock rather than the glitz and easy money of imitating say, Britney Spears?

i could have done that,,.. if i were just looking for money and fame... but as i said before... it’s about feeling passionate about it.... to sing your own stuff and have and orgasm going on!!!!!!!!!! IT’S... ALL ABOUT FINDING YOU IN MUSIC ..."music personality"  and i think... you`ll never find success doing something you don't feel.

What differentiates Poc from the dozens of other aspiring Joan Jett’s and Cher’s out there?

mmm first of all the time... the music tendency this days... it has nothing to do with the one they had in their time, the musical scene its completely different.... record labels.. are nothing like they used to be.. the market has gone completely into internet.... and... i mean... people have forgotten about rock these days... its more all about loops and keyboards,... more dancing stuff... like lady gaga, kesha, katy perry, bruno marz, shakira... etc...  so i think the answer to that one .. that we cannot even be compared, ... although i must say i love Joan jett and cher.. actually Gibson gave me the melody maker.... which is  joan jett`s guitar! that guitar it’s amazing !!

Where do you see Poc music being in ten years’ time?

mmmmm hopefully doing some more music.. or recording and album with bumblefoot.. i want to do this for the rest of my life, and i mean it.

The streams showed you noodling with a guitar – how able would you be in that regard?

I’m going to start guitar lessons with bumblefoot, im looking forward being a complete artist... at least with guitar and piano. so I’m going to kick some asses playing some solos for yal! even though it`ll take time and tough work... but it's totally worth it

Anything else to add?

hummm... welll... yeah... world peace.. ahhahaha lol. Well.. i must thank you for being so supportive and giving me the chance to share my music, and for the backing vocals for my album!! they were great.. you`ve become part of this process a big part!! so THANK YOU :) and thanks to bumblefoot for being just the way he is, and letting me have his time and work----... for making this album such a great damn album!

No comments:

Post a Comment